This is the area that I spent the most amount of my research on and I was feeling so confident! Then Cooper wouldn't go to the bathroom outside. He would come back in after being out forever and go to his newspaper. I didn't get it. So while he was napping I did some more research. I was starting to feel pretty defeated after reading all of the "my 1 year old isn't house trained" articles!
Then late evening it happened. He went outside!!!! I was so happy! Luckily I had brought a treat out that time and made sure to praise him like crazy. He took a nap shortly after so I decided that I should pick up the newspapers. I don't want to confuse him and I do want him to go outside, so I felt that it was best. Ever since that he has gone to the bathroom outside every time! (Not every time I bring him out...just all of his bathroom breaks have been outside!)
Thankfully, I think he finally understands that it is okay to go outside :-p. I've also been trying to get a lot more strict with his crate training. If he doesn't go outside and I think he should have to...he goes into his crate for 10-20 minutes. That usually works and he goes the second time.
Side note: I had no idea how much puppies sleep. Haha. I googled it during his 3rd nap of the day (It was only 3!) and it said on average around 18-20 hours a day! Cooper is certainly living up to that!
wow! i would never had guessed they slept THAT much!
ReplyDelete